Five Minute Friday: New

Prompt: New

GO

I don’t “do” new. I don’t like change. It takes me a long time to take up anything new, to become accustomed to a new environment, to embrace a new situation. It’s simply not my thing. This attitude has both helped and hindered me in my life. I’m not the type to quit something because I become bored or need to find “new” stimulation. I don’t quit on a person the first or the second  or the hundredth time they do something I don’t like. On the other hand, I tend to hang on to people who are toxic far longer than is good for anyone involved, me or them. I keep holding on, terrified of the “new” that will occur if that person is out of my life. I become accustomed to the toxicity, whether cruelty or abuse, and convince myself that “at least it isn’t new,” it isn’t as terrifying as the “new.” But it’s worse, whether I believe it or not. And I wonder where I got the idea, why I encourage myself in the belief, that suffering is less terrifying than something “new.”

STOP

9 Comments Add yours

1. Hopeannfaith says:

Thanks for stopping by HopeAnnFaith and taking the time to encourage me. I’m glad you lead me to yours! We’ve all done this, particularly before we become intimate with God; at least for me. We believe that what we know, good or bad, is better than the newer unknown. It’s when we realize and begin to wonder, as you have, why we tolerate the bad and fear the new … this is when God has begun to work and brings us to the realization that He has created us for more, MUCH more.
    Awesome reminder for me! Thank you for your raw honesty and heart.
    Blessings,
    Andrea

1. sarasamomx5 says:

Thanks. I’m so glad I was able to encourage you. 🙂

2. hopecarrart says:

What a powerful and honest message. I love that you do not give up on people but I also hope that you know you deserve to be treated as kindly as you treat others as well. Go out and try something new.

1. sarasamomx5 says:

Well, I’m working on that last part. 🙂 But I’m sure I’ll get there. Thanks so much for reading and especially for replying. 🙂

3. daisyeyes says:

visiting from FMF and OH my GOODNESS! We are so similar. I echo everything you said…especially hanging onto toxic relationships! Thanks so much for your honesty and for sharing!

1. sarasamomx5 says:

Thanks for reading and commenting. I think some of us are just wired to think we can help these people if we just try hard enough, so we end up staying until the relationship is past it’s sell-by. 🙂

4. Allie says:

Here from FMF. I love the way you write. I can relate in some ways to what you’re saying, I’ve been trying to constantly remind myself that pain and suffering are NOT better than the “new” things God has for me. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

1. sarasamomx5 says:

Thanks. I’m glad you liked it, and it has encouraged you. & thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. 🙂